divorce attorney charleston wv

No-Fault Divorce Lawyer Charleston, WV

No-Fault Divorce Lawyer Charleston

No-fault divorces are easier, cheaper, and faster than fault, or contested, divorces. Going forward with a no-fault divorce means you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse agree on the terms and conditions of the split. If you and your spouse have considered filing for a divorce for some time, a no-fault action might be the ideal solution. However, think long and hard before deciding that any type of divorce is right for you. When you’re sure about your decision, come to Johnson Law Offices for assistance in Charleston.

About No-Fault Divorces

In order to qualify for a no-fault divorce in West Virginia, a couple must have the proper grounds for filing: either 1) irreconcilable differences or 2) voluntary or involuntary separation for at least one year. If you are filing for divorce because of adultery, domestic violence, one spouse’s felony, alcoholism, or drug abuse, you would not have grounds for a no-fault divorce. These types of splits are fault divorces and have different legal proceedings.

In a no-fault divorce case, either you or your spouse can file the paperwork. Paperwork includes the divorce petition, financial statements, proposed parenting plan (if you have minor children), and your filing fee. File these forms with the Kanawha County Clerk’s office if you live in Charleston. Keep copies of these documents for your records. From there, the courts will contact you about your divorce proceedings.

When to Hire an Attorney

You may or may not need an attorney’s assistance for a no-fault divorce case. If your split is amicable and you and your spouse can agree on things like child support, child custody/visitation, property division, and alimony, you won’t need an attorney. If, however, you cannot agree on these terms, a lawyer can be a significant asset.

We recommend retaining an attorney if your spouse has one. Contact Johnson Law Offices for a consultation today.


For Personal Injury & Social Security Cases
Call Us Today!
(304) 768 5291